Sunday 27 January 2008

Sheltering from the Storm

Although conditions in town were relatively calm on Saturday with it being particularly mild for this time of year it was an all to different story the night before. With winds gusting over 70mph and a particularly large swell running, Lerwick harbour was sought as a refuge for many a fishing boat.

(Mooring Up)

On walking along the pier I got talking to a crew member of one the boats as he was shoreside getting ready to help with moorin. He was from the Banff registered Jenna Maree and kindly allowed me to take photographs of himself as he worked. Once the boat was secured I got talking to other crew members and was kindly invited on board.

Once on board I was allowed to wander on deck and take photographs as I pleased while the crew went to town. On their arrival I was given a tour of the boat. From the cell like dimensions of a cabin to the freezer hold where boxes and boxes of frozen prawns were stacked high I snapped away. It was a lighting nightmare with shutter speeds of around 1/13th bein common. A tripod would certainly of helped however would not of been ideal in such a situation. The cabins were an ideal location for portraits and I only wished myself and a crew member had time for a portrait or two.

( Working in the hold)

The Jenna Maree left that evening having offloaded 80 boxes of prawns at the local market to head out into the north sea to fish for a further few days.

No comments: